Pittsburgh - New Kensington - Butler - Leechburg - Natrona Heights - Kittanning - Freeport
Tarentum - Lower Burrell - Vandergrift - Ford City - Hyde Park - Fox Chapel - Brackenridge

Your Guide to the
Alle-Kiski Valley
and the Greater
Pittsburgh Area

Sunday
July 23, 2017



Home    

Go Outside    

History    

Diversion    

Back Issues    











Go Outside



The Heart of the AK Valley


About a mile downstream from the confluence of the Allegheny and Kiskiminetas Rivers, Buffalo Creek flows into the former of these streams and defines a point separating three counties: Allegheny, Armstrong and Butler. From this spot, one may look across the river towards Garver's Ferry in Westmoreland County on the eastern bank of the Allegheny.

At the juncture of the Buffalo and Allegheny stands the town of Freeport, established in 1800 by David Todd. It is the oldest town in the AK Valley that was settled by Europeans without the benefit of an Indian village previously occupying the site.

View of four counties from Harrison Hills Park
Mouth of the Buffalo, view from the Allegheny.






Copyright 1999-2014 by Darren McPhilimy, All Rights Reserved.